History of The Canal Fulton Glassworks

The Canal Fulton Glassworks was founded in 2006 as a family business by Worth “Bud”, Sandy, and Brian Graham. The Art Gallery officially opened on May 8th of 2009.

Brian Graham blowing glass in the studio.

A little info about our shop building…..

Located in Canal Fulton’s historic district, the art gallery occupies a circa 1814 timber framed structure. In 1814, Mathew Rowland platted the city of Milan, Ohio. The gallery was built on lot 44 in the Town of Milan- see map below. Later after the construction of the Ohio and Erie Canal, Milan was absorbed into the newly formed town of Fulton. In 1832, the name of the town was change to Canal Fulton.

The gallery is one of Stark County’s oldest commercial buildings, and has been used for business since at least the 1820’s. the building has housed a general store, original town train station for the Massillon & Cleveland Rail Road, bakery, beer distributor, coal and feed store, building supply, radio repair, bicycle shop, and a canoe livery. The fully restored gallery building is handicap accessible.

Original plat map for the town of Milan, Ohio – 1814.

The building as it looked in 1973. Tired and in need of some work.

This is the building as it appears today. Not too bad for a building that is almost 200 years old.

The art gallery & glassworks sit along the winding Tuscarawas River and overlook the famous Market Street stone arch bridge. The Ohio and Erie Canal towpath trail is located only a short distance beyond the river.

The Market St. stone arch bridge – built in 1900.

Old postcard of the stone bridge.

Newspaper announcement about building the original bridge in 1818.

A view of the property from the stone arch bridge.

Winter time view.

Join our email list for specials and event info.